ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
BARFOOT
Construction
STEEL
Type
BOOM DEFENCE VESSEL
Date
1943
Description
Yard Number: 166

Engine number 243, boilers by Scockton Chemical and Riley Boilers Ltd.

Launched 25th September 1942
Full power trial in Torry Dock, 2 March 1943.

Working as a floating laboratory in 1949.

In June 1972, BARFOOT was based at the Rosyth dockyard but was due to be retired within the next year or so. Press & Journal newspaper, 30 June 1972 reported 'she was built at the Torry yard of John Lewis and Sons Ltd for the unspectacular but vital wartime role of operating the boom defences guarding the approaches to harbours and anchorages. In peacetime, she has been a Jill-of-all-trades attached to the Naval Construction and Research Establishment at Rosyth. Survey work required her recent presence in the Sound of Raasay and off Rum, where a 10 ton charge, one of the biggest attempted, was detonated. It was BARFOOT'S job to lay the charge'.

Sold to be broken up at Ward, Inverkeithing, 23rd May 1977.
Shipbuilder
John Lewis & Sons
Owner
Royal Navy
Dimensions
length 150 1/3' x breadth 32 1/12' x depth 17 1/12'

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council