ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
ANN MITCHELL
Construction
WOOD (SHEATHED WITH YELLOW METAL)
Type
BRIG
Date
1862
Official Number
44436
Description
Builder: John Smith, Aberdeen
Date of Build/Launch: 19 May 1862

Original Owners*: David Mitchell, Blacksmith of Aberdeen, 32 shares, and John Smith, Shipbuilder of Aberdeen, 32 shares.
All 64 shares sold on 16 July 1864 to Patrick Cables, Shipowner, Arbroath. Registration transferred to Arbroath.

Construction*: 1 deck, 2 masts, brig rigged, round stern, carvel built, figurehead demi female, framework wood

(*Source Aberdeen Register of Shipping, Aberdeen City Archives).

1863-65: Master W. Robinson; Owner D. Mitchell; Port belonging to Aberdeen; Voyage to Hull
1865-66: Master W. Robinson; Owner P. Cables; Port belonging to Arbroath; Voyage to Hull
1866-67: Master J. McNab; Owner P. Cables; Port belonging to Arbroath; Voyage to West Indies
1867-68: Master W. Ramsey; Owner J. Johnston; Port belonging to Dundee; Voyage to Mediterranean
1869-70: Master J. Fairweather; Owner J. Johmston; Port belonging to Dundee; Voyage Dundee to Baltic
1870-73: Master P. Duncan; Owner J. Johnston; Port belonging to Dundee; Voyage Harwich to Mediterranean
1874: Master W. Wicks; Owner C. Hoult; Port belonging to Whitstable; Voyage to Cardiff
1875: Master G. Real; Owner C. Hoult; Port belonging to Whitstable; Voyage to Cardiff

Northern Echo, 03/02/1870:
Yesterday afternoon brig ANN MITCHELL, of Dundee, put back to the Tyne with dead body of Capt. Anderson, who died suddenly on board vessel, 1 Feb.

Glasgow Herald, 15/02/1870:
Harwich, 14 Feb - ANN MITCHELL, brig of Dundee, for Mediterranean with coals, has been assisted off Cliff Fort Lights and laid on the mud at Shotley.

Glasgow Herald, 24/03/1870:
Harwich, 22 March - brig ANN MITCHELL, of Dundee, sailed for Palermo today after repairing.

Wrecked 1875:
In Lloyd's Register for 1875 "(missing)" is written under name of ship. Fate unknown.
Shipbuilder
John Smith, Shipbuilder
Dimensions
length 100'3" x breadth 23'6" x depth 13'4"
gross tonnage 189 tons

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council