ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
ARETHUSA
Construction
Wood
Type
BRIG
Date
1839
Description
Description: 1 deck, 2 masts and a trysail, brig rigged, standing bowsprit, square stern, carvel built and a female figurehead.

Subscribing Owners:
John Ogilvy, baker (48 shares), John Begg, merchant (16 shares), both Aberdeen.

Registration cancelled in Aberdeen and transferred to Shields 16th February 1850. Andrew Baxter master in 1839.

(Source: Aberdeen Register of Shipping (Aberdeen City Archives))

Master:

1840-49: A. Baxter
1850-53: J. Wood

Owners:

1840-49: J. Ogilvy
1850-53: Newman & Co.

Route:

1840: Aberdeen-Lisbon
1841: Aberdeen-Goole
1843-44: No Voyage Recorded
1845-48: Aberdeen-Riga
1849: No voyage recorded.
1850: Blyth Coaster
1851-52: Blyth-Rotterdam
1853: Blyth-Honfleur

Notes:
Brig, 174 tons, part iron bolts. Classification 6A1, 1839; AE1, 1854. Oak, larch and elm. Some repairs 1843, 1847 and 1849. Damage repairs 1853. Registered in Blyth 1850.

(Source: Lloyds Register of Shipping)

4/1/1854: Voyage Whitstable-Shields, registered Blyth, cargo ballast, Capt. Wood, crew of 8.
Wrecked on Tynemouth rocks in wind conditions S.E. force 6, due to not keeping enough to the southward and for want of sail. The coastguard return of the incident states that ‘She was damaged following collision with the MARY, when running over the bar, causing her to become unmanageable'.

(Source: Shipwreck Index of the British Isles, R+B Larn.)

Caledonian Mercury, 26/12/1839:
Leith 25 December, arrived brig ARETHUSA, of Aberdeen, Baxter master, from Faro with cargo of wine, cork, salt and fruit. Vessel was driven down Firth of Forth by violence of a gale, but weather having become a little more moderate during morning's flood, she wrought up and now lies in Leith Roads.

Caledonian Mercury, 2/9/1841:
Brig ARETHUSA, Grangemouth to Quebec, spoken 17 August, 19 days out. Latitude 50.47N Longitude 30. [Mid North Atlantic]
Builder
John Ronald & Co.
Dimensions
Length: 76.2'
Breadth: 20'
Depth: 13.1'
Gross Tonnage: 162 tons. (Lloyds 174 tons)

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council