ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
UMGENI
Construction
WOOD
Type
Ship
Date
1864
Official Number
48860
Description
Built by Smith's (Humphrey) launched October 1864

Description: 2 decks, a main and a break, 3 masts, ship rig, altered to barque November 1875, elliptic stern, carvel built, no galleries, billet figurehead.

5th November 1875, certificate of sale signed John T. Rennie empowering William Scorgie, master of the UMGENI, to sell the ship at any place out of the UK for a sum not less than £2,600 within 18 months from date of certificate.
Certificate cancelled on 21st Dec. 1877, no sale having been made. George Hall Rennie signed a certificate of sale dated 21st August 1878 authorising James Dykes Campbell of the firm Island Fraser & Co., Port Louis, Mauritius to sell the ship in any port in Mauritius for a sum not less than £2,000 within 12 months from date of certificate. Registration cancelled 1880, no sale having been made.
George Hall Rennie signed a certificate of sale dated 21st Aug. 1878 authorising James Dyres Campbell of the firm Island Fraser & Co., Port Louis, Mauritius to sell the ship in any port in Mauritius for a sum not less than £2,000 within 12 months from date of certificate. Registration cancelled 1880, no sale having been made.
(Source, Aberdeen Shipping Registers (Aberdeen City Archives))

Owner J. T. Rennie
Master S. Stewart (1865) Route Aberdeen, Durban, Natal.

1871: Master S. Scorgie
1874: Route Aberdeen to London
1876-77: Master W. Scorgie
1877-78: Route Aberdeen to Adelaide, repairs made at Adelaide 1876.

Special survey made at London 1880, valid for 5 years.

Aberdeen Journal, 01/02/1865:
Aberdeen clipper line of packets, London to Natal - the fine new clipper ship UMGENI, 365 tons register (John Stuart, Commander) is non loading at St. Katherine's Dock, London and will embark passengers at Gravesend for Natal on 20 February. The vessel has very superior accommodate for passengers. John T. Rennie, 48 Marischal Street, Aberdeen.

Williamstown Chronicle, 12/10/1872:
Port Philipheads [Victoria], 11 Oct., UMGENI, barque, from Mauritius.

South Australian Register, 03/04/1873:
Mails to be despatched from Adelaide for Great Britain by UMGENI to London, 4 April.

South Australian Register [Adelaide], 17/08/1876:
Barque UMGENI, stranded near Glenelg [South Australia], though happily no life has been endangered and it is hoped that both ship and cargo will be saved without much damage. In evening lights of a ship were seen by some fishermen in rather dangerous proximity to the beach, but was supposed to be a coaster whose skipper well knew his own road and weather was not such as to cause alarm. However, morning showed a barque to be ashore off Gray's Point, about 2 miles to north of Glenelg, where a bar has been raised by tide and currents. Vessel was UMGENI, Scorgie Master, 366 tons, coal laden from Newcastle and bound for Adelaide. Capt. Scorgie says he made out the light at Glenelg distinctly, but grounded about midnight. Little doubt that vessel went stem on to the beach and rising squalls gradually put her stern round until she lay almost broadside on to the sea, which at times broken over her.

Australian Town & Country Journal, 26/08/1876:
UMGENI still lies ashore at Glenelg. The coal is being discharged.

South Australian Advertiser [Adelaide], 24/11/1876:
MUATO while being towed for berthing collided with barque UMGENI. Some rigging, 2 or 3 stanchions of poop rail and other minor damage. Accident was the more annoying as the UMGENI has just been overhauled and refitted, which restores her for 4 years A1 at Lloyds.

South Australian Advertiser, 22/01/1877:
Mails to be despatched from Adelaide for Cape of Good Hope and St. Helena by UMGENI to Algoa Bay [Port Elizabeth].

Lloyd's Register, last entry for UMGENI 1882/83, Master Milne, Owners J. T. Rennie & Sons, Aberdeen.



Dimensions
length 138' x breadth 26' 1" x depth 13' 3"
tonnage 366 tons

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council